Saturday, September 30, 2006

September 12 - spring break trip

The lounge on my floor at Parrotfish Lodge hostel.This morning I checked out by the checkout deadline and put my bags in a locker for the day. I explored some more of the shops in town looking for any possible souvenirs, then walked down to Four-mile Beach. The beach here had a fair number of people laying out and swimming, and although it was hot in town, there was a strong, cool breeze coming in off the ocean. I layed in the sun and enjoyed the breeze for a while before walking around and exploring more of the town.

This sign was at a bar in Port Douglas.The bus picked me up from Port Douglas at 4:30pm today and drove myself and a bunch of others back to Cairns. Near Cairns I saw a lot of smoke on one side of the road, and as we got closer I saw that it was a sugar cane field that was being burned. I checked back into the Asylum hostel in Cairns (where I had stayed previously) around 6:00pm, got my meal voucher, and went down to the Woolshed for dinner. After supper I walked to Cairns Central Mall, in a part of Cairns I hadn’t been to before. Most of the stores were closed (stores close early in Australia), but the This is one of the main streets in Port Douglas. It is a small town.grocery stores were still open. I walked around in one grocery store and ended up buying a pint of extremely delicious fresh strawberries that were on special. I also bought some chocolate – it’s been a while since I’ve had any. J I’m not sure how many kinds of kitkats there are back in the U.S. right now, but I’ve noticed there are several new/different varieties of kitkats here, including mint slice, caramel, honeycomb, and a cookie one. Anybody know if these are available in the U.S. yet? I haven’t tried them here since it’s almost $2 for one small candybar – I’m Apparently some Australian politicians have the same reputation as some of the American politicians.not gonna waste my moneyFour-mile Beach in Port Douglas. It's funny how they use kilometers here, but when a beach is 4 miles long I guess it just sounds better than the name 6.4 kilometer beach. :). :-P

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home